If you are like many of those, who choose natural gas a fuel to heat up their homes, it is likely that you will see an increase in your gas bills during winters when consumption of electric heating begins. If you are moving to a larger home, you are bound to see an increase in the utility bills as compared to your current home. The larger the home, the more is the space that needs natural gas heating. It is important to plan your expenses and budget keeping mind these variations. While natural gas helps, you keep your home warm and comfortable during those cold winter months, it is important that you take certain measures to ensure optimal usage. Reading this piece further will equip you with some important tips on how you can lower your gas bill.
Some steps to lower your bills while using natural gas heating
Follow the below steps to conserve natural gas and keep your bills low:
- Turn off the heating when you are stepping out: While the idea of coming back to a warm and cosy home seems very alluring, it is not very practical. If you are stepping out for a few hours, you should turn off the heating and prevent wastage of energy and save big bucks.
- Check the equipment: The more efficient your electric heatingequipment is, the lesser gas it will consume and thus you will save money. Get your equipment inspected and serviced by a certified professional. Whenever you are replacing the system, opt for an energy-efficient system.
- Buy gas from a customer choice program: If you have access to a customer choice program, you must purchase the gas from there, you will get better rates.
- Insulate your water tank: When you insulate your hot water storage tank you will be able to save both energy and money. Heat leaks from tanks that are not properly insulated and leads to higher utility bills.
- Get your home energy audit done: Air leaks lead to added cost on all utility bills. To make sure your natural gas heating systemdoesn’t make your bill shoot high, you should get your system audited by a professional auditor. The report will also help you figure out areas which need improvement of insulation.
- Insulate and seal all the air ducts: Air ducts with leaks are one of the most important factors causing high gas bills. Air ducts circulate the heat through the home, so a leak in the duct means it will use more energy and more money. Hire a professional service provider to check for leaks and seal them, to make the system efficient and help you save a significant amount of money.
The important of hiring a certified professional for your electric heating system
It is important that you hire a certified expert for installation and maintenance of your electric heating system. A contractor who has the necessary certifications, license and the knowledge, will deliver the best quality service to you and will also be safe to work with. The professional must understand local guidelines and laws so that they guide you in installing a system which is compliant with the laws. With their experience and expertise, they will help you choose a system which is energy efficient and helps you keep your gas bills low. When looking for a service provider, you must ask your neighbors for reviews and do some research by reading testimonials online. You must ask for quotes from a few contractors and then do a comparison before you make the final choice. Your choice must not be based only on cost but should be made by considering all factors like their skills, experience, reviews, license, insurance and quotation.